Sunday, August 22, 2010

New York, New York

SUMMER IN TIMES SQUARE

Here are some of my paintings I've completed this summer. I am working on portraits and street scenes mainly right now. This painting is from a week I spent in Manhattan this summer. Being there so long allowed me to go to many various neighborhoods and to explore and photograph. I love the action and beauty of the city during the day. Riding the subway always provides great people subjects. SoHo, The Village, and China Town all provide amazing subjects. The museums are great for portrait subjects. Staying in the city allows me to really become inspired by the architecture and people. The painting of Times Square is painted from one of the many photos I took. I added the figures in the front because I was there at dusk when it wasn't so crowded. What a crowd!


Midtown Manhattan
This watercolor is from my summer painting also. The flags are so beautiful going down the street, and that is what I focused on along with the crowd. Using ultramarine blue and brown madder dripping washes helped to simplify the busy buildings. I paint on an easel which keeps the paint flowing to create mysterious colors bleeding together. Usually I just let the paint do its job without a lot of fussy strokes.

Metropolitan
I have been working on a series of museum portraits. I love photographing people enjoying the beautiful paintings. This watercolor is of my daughter at the Metropolitan observing a portrait. The colors are soft and muted and I like the room leading you back to create depth. We spent half a day at the MET. It really inspires one to paint and paint!
Claudus
I asked Claudus to pose for this portrait this summer. The painting is mainly to focus on the face so I used a soft blue for the shirt and chose a simple background.

No comments:

Post a Comment